The “invisible” hand
Windows does not allow users to control their computers remotely, so we have to resort to third-party solutions in order to access our machine. TeamViewer is a multi-platform software application that lets you control your PC from any device running Windows, Android, iOS, Windows RT or even Windows Phone 8. The installation process on the host computer remains the same, but the installation process on the guest computer (the computer which is controlled by the first computer) differs a little.
Installation on a host computer:
1. Download Team Viewer from www.teamviewer.com. After downloading, open the Installer, select “Install” and then hit “Next”.
2. If you want it for personal use, then simply select personal/non-commercial (free version) and then hit “Next” again.
3. Accept the license and usage agreements by checking the boxes, then click “Next”.
4. In the Installation Type section, select “Yes”to install the host listening software, then click “Next”.
5. You will now be prompted to set up an unattended access. Just click on “Next” and set your preferred name for the computer and a password.
6. Sign up for a TeamViewer account (if you don’t already have one) by filling the required fields for username, email address, and password. Click “Next”.
7. Hit “Finish” and the installation is complete.
Installation on the guest computer:
1. Download TeamViewer on your guest computer running Windows, Android, iOS, Windows Phone 8 or Windows RT.
2. Now log in using your TeamViewer account.
3. It will show you a full list of all the computers associated with your TeamViewer account. Select the one you configured earlier.
4. A new window will now pop-up through which you can easily remote-access your PC.
Controlling your computer via Chrome:
Google has an official extension for remote controlling a computer using a simple Chrome extension. This method works both on Windows and OS X.
Installation process for host computer:
Add Chrome Remote Desktop app from the Chrome Web Store (http://tinvurl.com/dy8ufz8) on the host and guest computers.
1. Open the extension by going to the Apps section in Chrome. Grant it permission by clicking “Continue”. Now click on “Allow Access” (You have to sign into your Google account). Hit the ‘Get started’ button in the My Computer section.
2. Click on “Enable remote connections” button.
3. Assign a PIN number.
4. A User Account Control dialog will pop-up, press “Yes”.
5. Re-enter your PIN and click “Confirm!” Then click “OK”.
Installation process on guest computer:
1. Make sure that you are signed into the same account you have used earlier.
2. Open Chrome Remote Desktop app by going to the Apps section in Chrome. Click on “Get Started”.
3. You should see your other computer listed there. Click on it.
4. A box will appear, just enter the PIN you entered earlier on the host computer and click on “Connect”.
5. That’s it. You can now control your other computer via a tab in the Chrome browser.